Are you engaged in the right one?
The world is in love, with love, but only knows infatuation. It operates on a superficial level filled with lusty desires that are unending and forever burn, but are never satisfied. They live for the moment, and once the unquenchable fire fizzles, they move on to what they think will be better only to repeat the cycle all over again. God’s design was never for His children to invest all of our love solely in people, as people cannot give us the kind of love that will make us whole- that will fill the void inside of us. That void was created by God, for God, and God alone. To try to fill it with other things is futile, and only leads to many forms of self-destructive behavior.
Exodus 20:5 describes God as a jealous God. In this context, it is used in conjunction with people worshiping physical idols, but idols, in reality, don’t always have to be physical. We can “worship” things, or people. Anything that exalts itself above God, or takes His place, becomes an idol because we are worshiping it instead of God. This holds true in regards to love. God wants us to love Him with, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” (Mark 12,30) It is so important, that it is repeated again, almost verbatim in Luke 10:27, Matthew 22:37, and Deuteronomy 6:5. Simply put, it says love God with every fiber of yourself. Love Him above all things, people, and anything else on the earth. We are to praise Him, give Him thanks, magnify Him, glorify Him, exalt Him, adore Him… LOVE Him above all else because He is WORTHY. He is the only thing ever referenced in scripture (which is an instruction manual for life) that is ever quoted to be worthy of praise.
God is worthy of praise, on the most basic level and in a nutshell, because He loves us. His love is the purest kind of love that exists, and the love that our soul longs for (and can get misdirected on). There are no conditions, no expectations, no ulterior motives, and no strings attached. It is a love that is pure and simple. How do we know He loves us, you may ask? What has He done (action wise) to demonstrate His love for us?
- He sacrificed His only Son on the cross and allowed Him to be beaten and tortured so that we would no longer be separated from Him. (John 3:16, Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:9-11) Who/What else would love us so much that they would do that?
- Even though we are not worthy of forgiveness for our sins, the blood of Jesus washes us clean and we are forgiven. The world’s system would have us judged and convicted, and call it “justice”. God’s judgement is for the unrepentant, hardened heart. Once we ask for forgiveness and repent, we are made clean, and God remembers it no more (Psalms 103:12, Isaiah 43:25, and Isaiah 44:22). Worldly love remembers offense, and it can come back to bite you.
- God created us with a plan and purpose. He knew us while we were being formed in our mother’s womb, and His fingerprint is on us. His plans are to prosper us- not to harm us (Jeremiah 29:11). God is a God who only wants His children to succeed, and His is the only success wherein you are guaranteed a victory- if you follow Him and obey.
- God loves you no matter what you do. You cannot escape His love, nor make Him hate you. He hates the sin because He sees it destroy His children. He will correct His children- not out of anger- but because He doesn’t want us to endure the pain of our consequences.
And the examples go on of God’s love. This is why He is worthy. He gives us everything we need, want, and desire. He looks after us, protects us, comforts us, gives us gifts, prospers us, blesses us, gives us favor, and does everything a good Father does- and more. Why wouldn’t you praise Him? Can anyone on earth even hold a candle to the goodness of God?
Taking it back to scripture, after God commands us to love Him with every inch of our being, He tells us to love others as we love ourselves. The love of others is secondary to loving God. If we love Him, His love will permeate through us and make us whole. Then we can share and exude the love of Christ to others so that they may come to know Him. Our spouses are our help-meets. They are there to help us to do God’s work, but they are not a replacement for God’s love. The love between spouses is different, and if you expect your spouse to meet all of your needs, you will be disappointed because many of our needs can only be met by God. If our spouse met all of our needs, we wouldn’t need God.
Marriages fall apart because spouses claim that the other person isn’t meeting their needs (now some may be valid in the case of neglect) and that they don’t love them anymore. Many times they are searching for that fulfillment that only comes with a relationship with Christ- no other. Their spouses become their god, and when they fail to live up to a perceived expectation, everything falls apart. What they don’t realize is that marriage wasn’t designed to incorporate this kind of love- spousal love is a different love connection. They are disappointed when they don’t feel the love they are searching for when it is they who misplaced it. They are looking in the wrong place.
Christ should always be at the center of a marriage, and come first in each person’s life. Spouses always come second. To place your spouse above God in any way is replacing God. Keep in mind the scriptures outlining that God is a jealous God. He wants your love to be focused on Him. While He won’t smite you for the mistake, He also won’t fill you with the love that is reserved for Him. You will be left feeling empty, unhappy, and under the impression that something is missing from your live. It is, too, it’s the love of Christ.
Are you feeling empty inside? Maybe it’s because you don’t know Christ. If you are saved, maybe it’s because you aren’t loving Him with your whole being- it could be just part. The question is, what are you afraid of? God will never forsake you, leave you, and His promises are yes and amen. There is no trust issue on His part. We are the ones who shouldn’t be trusted, but He loves us despite our shortcomings because we are His children. You cannot compare God to people because He is a Spirit, not a person. He does not have all of the attributes that a person has because He is without sin. All of the bad things we see in people doesn’t and can’t exist with God. They belong to Satan. Therefore, there is nothing to be afraid of in terms of trusting God. Allow Him into your heart, and fill you with His love. Watch your life be transformed as you grow closer to Him. He will never disappoint you.
God may be calling you into a personal and intimate relationship with Him. If you don’t know Jesus, but would like to, then according to Romans 10:9-10 you can ask him into your heart and be saved by the grace of God. Please repeat the following prayer:
Dear God in heaven, I come to you in the name of Jesus. I acknowledge to You that I am a sinner, and I am sorry for my sins and the life that I have lived; I need your forgiveness.
I believe that your only begotten Son Jesus Christ shed His precious blood on the cross at Calvary and died for my sins, and I am now willing to turn from my sin.
You said in Your Holy Word, Romans 10:9 that if we confess the Lord our God and believe in our hearts that God raised Jesus from the dead, we shall be saved.
Right now I confess Jesus as the Lord of my soul. With my heart, I believe that God raised Jesus from the dead. This very moment I accept Jesus Christ as my own personal Savior and according to His Word, right now I am saved.
Thank you Jesus for your unlimited grace which has saved me from my sins. I thank you Jesus that your grace never leads to license, but rather it always leads to repentance. Therefore Lord Jesus transform my life so that I may bring glory and honor to you alone and not to myself.
Thank you Jesus for dying for me and giving me eternal life. AMEN.
You are now saved! Welcome into the kingdom of Heaven! Please also let us know so that we can rejoice with you, and help you to find a Holy Spirit filled church.
- If You Knew The “Why” Behind A Warning…. - August 29, 2019
- Bitterness Is A Coping Skill For Pain- Not Just Anger - August 22, 2019
- Overcomer Movie: Can A Coach See Who He Truly Is? - August 22, 2019
- Christian Values: Did Society Uphold Or Erode Them? - July 31, 2019
- Kendrick Brothers Launch Another Stellar Movie - July 24, 2019
- Healthy or Sick:What’s Your Relationship Temperature? - July 16, 2019
- How Do You Overcome The Hesitation About Salvation? - July 12, 2019
- Children Reunited With Family After Homeschool Ruling - July 3, 2019
- Students Punished For Objecting To Participate In LGBT Lesson - July 2, 2019
- 1 Thing May Be Preventing Your Success - June 28, 2019